Angela Shortall has more than 20 years of financial analysis and accounting experience and is responsible for providing a wide range of consulting services including corporate restructuring services and litigation support to her clients.
Areas of Practice
- Supervises the staff of a Chapter 7 Trustee, identifying assets and causes of actions, overseeing the liquidation of assets, supervising the preparation of reports to the United States Bankruptcy Court and the Office of the United States Trustee, negotiating sale contracts and settlement agreements and claims issues for Chapter 7 individual and business bankruptcies.
- Provides bankruptcy and reorganization services on numerous engagements involving all phases of Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 proceedings. Her assignments have included litigation and bankruptcy consulting matters.
- Assisted with the wind-down and liquidation of a $10M Federally Qualified Health Center. Oversaw collection and preservation of sensitive patient information, coordinating disposition of 5 physical locations and working with the Trustee and his counsel to provide notice to, and make medical records available to, over 10,000 prior patients. Worked with Trustee to sell partnership interest in a health services partnership, securing over $4M for the estate.
- Served as financial advisor to the nation’s leading outsource mortgage post-funding quality control provider, Adfitech, Inc., during their successful Chapter 11 bankruptcy. As Debtor’s financial advisor, supervised the preparation of bankruptcy schedules and statements of financial affairs, worked with the Debtor to prepare forward looking schedules that supported the Disclosure Statement, prepared an enterprise valuation and projected post-effective date financial statements to be presented with the Disclosure Statement, supervised the preparation of monthly operating reports and assisted the Debtor and their counsel in evaluating filed claims.
- Performed due diligence on a national rail-lease management program to evaluate the efficacy of their collateral protection procedures on behalf of their primary lender, a multi-national financial services company.
- Reviewed the loan origination and underwriting processes of a southwest regional mortgage brokerage company as part of an internal audit project.
- Led engagement providing advisory services to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (“PBGC”), advising the PBGC with respect to its risks and potential remedies in relationship to certain participants in the newspaper media industry.
- In re: Robert Van Masters, Jr. and Judi Bausum Masters (Bankruptcy Case No. 14-26416) U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maryland. Subject matter: Opposition to emergency motion to stay auction of real property.
- In re: George T. Moran, Inc. (Bankruptcy Case No. 10-18337) U. S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maryland. Subject matter: Sale of company.
- In re: Goldstein v. The Informal Group and Nancy Cross (Case No. CL12002709-00). Circuit Court for Arlington County, Virginia. Subject matter: Collections action against borrower of K Capital.
- In re: Goldstein v. Williamson Group Land Development, LLC and Jerold E. Williamson (Case No. CL 2012-16506). Circuit Court for Fairfax County, Virginia. Subject matter: Collections action against borrower of K Capital. Testified in opposition to Defendant’s Plea in Bar as financial advisor to the Chapter 7 Trustee.
- In re: Riddick L. Bowe, 1st (Bankruptcy Case No. 05-41735). U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maryland. Subject matter: Support of fee application of financial professional.
- In re: Charles R. Goldstein, Chapter 7 Trustee v. Cimaglia (Bankruptcy Case No. 99-05695). U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maryland. Subject matter: Damages in Motion for Default Judgement.
- “Next Generation Technology,” June 2017, 33rd Annual Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor’s Bankruptcy and Restructuring Conference.
- “Mock Lift Stay Hearing in a Business Bankruptcy Case,” May 5, 2017, Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association Spring Break Weekend.
- “Getting Retained and Paid: Ethical Issues and Best Practices,” March 2, 2017, IWIRC at the Shore.
- “Minimum Wage Laws in America,” May 27, 2016, AIRA 32nd Annual Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor’s Bankruptcy & Restructuring Conference.
- “Cash Collateral and DIP Financing Considerations,” June 2015, IWIRC Greater Maryland Network Financial Advisors Panel.
- “Advanced Financial Issues in Reorganization,” January 9, 2014. 31st Annual Colorado Bar Associations’ National CLE Conference.
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate Restructuring & Recovery
- Litigation & Financial Investigations
Education & Certifications
- BA, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
- MBA, University of Pittsburgh
- Juris Doctor, University of Pittsburgh
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Insolvency & Restructuring Advisor (CIRA)
- Member, Bar of U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- Member, Maryland Bar
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- Bankruptcy Bar Association of Maryland
- Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors, Past President